----- Original Message -----
> From: "Saggi Mizrahi" <smizr...@redhat.com>

Versions might not be enough here, as some features might be supported by VDSM
version X, but not when it is installed under operating system Y.
IMO, VDSM should reflect that when reporting the features.

> >   So the disputed question is only how many feature flags we should
> >   have, and when to set them: statically or based on negotiation with
> >   kernel/libvirt/gluster/what not.
> I already voiced my reservation over the entire concept
> of "feature flags".
> Proposing we only move to specific introspective verbs
> maintained in the subsystem.
>
> Have vdsm.getAvailableStorageDomainTypes() ['gluster']
>
> instead of vdsm.getFeatures()
> ['storagetype/gluster']
>
> It allows for much higher level of flexibility as the aforementioned verb
> can also return other information about the domain type:
> For example returning each domain type with parameter information:
> {'nfs': {'connect_params': [
>         {'name': 'timeout',
>          'type': 'int',
>          'range': [0, 99],
>          'desc': 'Sets the timeout',
>
> So even parameters can potentially be introspected.

IMO it is great to have a verb per "domain" (e.g. network, storage, virt,
etc.), as it allows getting deeper information about features.
However, it does not conflict with having a single general getFeatures verb.
Such a verb can be useful cases in which you don't really need more
information, for example in establishing a feature negotiation between the
engine and VDSM. If you find out that a specific feature is supported, and you
would like to get more details, such as parameter information, you would query
specifically for that.