Hello Dana,

Hudes, Dana wrote:
> I don't know anything specific but it sounds like you're looking to have
> shared storage between cluster nodes.

Correct, I am looking at ZFS as a potential VxVM/UFS replacement for
this solution.
> The first issue is how you get the
> physical storage shared -- perhaps you zone (in SAN terms) the LUN to
> multiple machines and rely on the hosts to sort out access.

We already use VxVM on top of SRDF.  We would plan on using ZFS on top
of SRDF to handle replication instead of doing failover with both nodes
accessing the same set of LUNs.
>  In any case,
> as I see it your ZFS plans have to isolate the datasets for a failover
> group (perhaps a particular zone) into a particular zpool. Then your
> failover process has to take the zone down (or acts on the zone going
> down, either way) and then explicitly deport the zpool. The sequence is
> important: if the delegated dataset is still in use you can't deport the
> zpool. The online procedure is to first explicitly import the zpool
> before bringing up the zone.

I am hoping that these issues will be resolved in the Agent that Eric
referred to earlier. Replacing the well-tested VxVM/UFS with ZFS is not
something that I would do lightly and especially not outside of the
supported configurations. I am very happy to hear about the upcoming agent.

Thanks for your reply.

Kind Regards,

Nathan Dietsch