________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrey
Dmitriev
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:29 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-ha] VSC5, multiple Oracle10g fail-over instances

My preferred method is to have one set of binaries 'per VCS group'. So
if you have a group per oracle instance, then you need dedicated
binaries per instance, if not, then have only one. If you need to
upgrade one of the db's, just install a set of binaries in parallel
(e.g. $ORACLE_BASE/product/9.2.0; $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.2.0

I do not prefer to ever have binaries on the host (not shared storage),
for reasons mentioned below (can accidentally bring up db on a
mispatched host).

-a

________________________________

   From: John Cronin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        John Cronin wrote:

        > It should be possible to use one set of Oracle binaries for
multiple
        > Oracle instances, I think - somebody please correct me if I am
wrong.
        > Unless it was a very strange situation, you would almost
certainly
        > need to have one copy of the identical binaries in identical
locations
        > on each of the three nodes though (or one copy on NFS, or a
cluster
        > filesystem that was globally accessible), so that really
wouldn't be
        > one copy of Oracle binaries, I guess.
        >
        > That said, I have generally not done that for the following
reasons:

        > 1) Disk space keeps getting cheaper and the binaries don't
take up
        > that much space (relatively speaking).
        >
        > 2) People virtually always forget to make changes (e.g.
patching) to
        > all three nodes equally - they patch one, or something like
that, and
        > they always get out of sync.  For this reason I generally
prefer the
        > binaries on shared storage, failing over with the data, but
there are
        > valid reasons not to do it this way too.
        >
        > 3) Someday someone might want upgrade for one of the
instances, but
        > not the others.  At that point you have the possibility of
some
        > screwing up one or more of the instances you didn't want to
upgrade.