Summary!

In case someone else is fighting with the same problems I thought I'd
share my conclusion with you.

I've decided not to resize the LUNS / file systems at all as Solaris 8
is quite restrictive with LUN resizing. I've overcome the need for
resizing them with a bit of thinking.

Given the variables (Sol8, EVA, VVM5, Oracle9i, Tape / EVA backups and
most importantly, our needs) I've come to a conclusion that:

1. If we need more space for the growing data I'll just create another
file systems to their own groups, for example DATA01 and DATA02 to
data01dg and data02dg etc. Also for some reason distributing data / arch
/ redo files to separate file systems a bit improves the performance of
our application.

2. With the practice mentioned above I only need to resize (shrink) a
disk when the data doesn't grow anymore and this happens only once a
year when the year is closed. I can do this by calculating the space
needed for the data and creating a new file system for it, move the data
on the new disk and destroy the old one.

As simple as that. No need to fiddle with temporary disks and the
one-lun-per-diskgroup is safe (no concat file systems). The only single
point of failure is the SAN and with its three-level internal data
protection the only reasonable threat is the complete destruction of it.

Br,
Jarkko