Very good reading.

Thank you, sir!

-j-

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Darren
Dunham
Sent: 24 May 2007 19:47
To: Veritas-vx@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-vx] state DISABLED after patching

> Veritas support also recommended me to leave the rootdg01Priv there as
> it contains some data. What data might that be? Something important
> perhaps (the Priv sounds a bit spooky to me)?

Yes.  It's a bit complex to explain.

When you 'initialize' a new disk, VxVM creates a private region and a
public region.  Your space is allocated out of the public region.  Since
it's a new disk, it can put them whereever it wants.

However when you 'encapsulate' an existing disk, it doesn't have the
same freedom.  You might have already allocated space at the beginning
and the end of the disk.  So the public region has to encompass all that
space.  That usually means that it has to create a bit of space in the
middle of the disk for the private region.

Since this space is in the middle, it is both in the private region
*and* the public region.  To prevent that portion of the public region
from being used, a subdisk is allocated that uses that spot, marking it
as in use.

If that subdisk were deleted, it's possible that something else would be
allocated there.  You can see that this is only needed on certain
encapsulated disks.  It shouldn't be seen on initialized disks.

The old sun blueprint addresses this as well.  You might want to look at
it if you haven't before.  It covers some of the details of what's
happening in the encapsulated stuff.
<http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0800/vxvmref.pdf>

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]