On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:54:27PM -0700, Myers, Mike wrote:
> We've used it for OS upgrades (where the unencapsulation is pretty
handy since we're upgrading the Veritas software as well), but for
patching there's too much post-patch work that's "hard" (eg. not easily
automated).  We just do flash archives of the system before patching and
offer a restore from that to the system owner if there's problems.
Mostly it's less painful to figure out the issue and fix it on the
application side than to go back (knowing that you'll have to move
forward on patching eventually anyways).

That works as well.  I've used the "pull-a-disk" method quite a bit, but
I originally didn't do it for patching per se.

I had an E10000 with 5 domains on it.  We were doing SAN configuration
changes and the first 4 went great.  The last one was horrible.  The
changes didn't actually "fail", but it caused the machine to take about
75 minutes to boot in some cases.  So backing out the changes in
reasonable time meant rebooting to an alternate environment.

In addition, the machine had no CD-rom, and at the time you couldn't
successfully jumpstart from a 'ge' interface (fixed later).  So it was
painful to boot from anything other than the installed root.  The
"pull-a-disk" meant I could have two separate boot environments via a
VxVM root mirror, syncing occasionally and being able to back out of
changes rapidly.  Worked very well for that.

I generally use it when I have a VxVM root mirror, I can pull the disk
easily, I expect that things will go well, but I have a tight window for
downtime.  If things fail, I know I'm back up very rapidly and we can
think about why we had problems later.  Not having to do any
configuration changes on VxVM to execute a backout makes the method
fast and in some ways, less error prone.  It's certainly not without its
dangers though.  Backups are always recommended to reduce the gremlin
playfield.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]