Yes, that would absolutely make sense.

But using the AppleEvent interface in BBEdit makes even more sense,
for the following two reasons:

1. The location of the bbdiff command line tool inside the application
bundle might change again in a later release (the location of this
file inside the app is not a way to interact with it that's endorsed
or recommended by BareBones Software)
2. We prefer not to require people to install the command line tools
for an application we integrate with if it's not strictly necessary.

Using the supported AppleEvent interface to show a diff in BBEdit
makes integration completely independent from the command line tools.
Plus, it should work with current, previous and future releases of
BBEdit.

All the best,
- Dirk

the Versions team