I've got one workspace which shows up with 1.0.4b as having 27 remote
differences.  However, using Update in Versions doesn't do anything,
and 'svn update' doesn't do anything.  I deduce that there really
aren't any differences.  Is there some way I can find out what's
causing this?

There's nothing particularly unusual about my configuration, so far as
I know.  We do use externals, and there are 11 external references
from this workspace.

I didn't see this behaviour with 1.0.3 as far as I recall.