Hi DonO,

I've dealt with this a little bit, so here's some comments, albeit subject
to correction by someone more knowledgeable.

> So do I go High Definition or Blue Ray?  Was told that HD lost out to BR
> like Beta lost out to VHS.  Now both Beta and VHS are gone.  Do I get rid of
> my HD player now- I have lots of movies and stuff in HD?

The rule is: always film in the highest resolution available.  The software
is capable of converting the files to whatever resolution is needed, ie.
Blu-Ray or regular DVD.  You cannot film at low resolution and increase the
resolution, it will just look crappy.

Yes, HD-DVD is a dead technology.  If you already have a substantial
investment in the HD-DVD format, buy an extra HD-DVD player or two, because
once these disappear, and your machine breaks down, you will have no way of
directly viewing the video.

Blu-Ray DVD drives are beginning to appear for PCs.  Some are dual drives,
in that they will read Blu-Ray AND regular DVD (not HD-DVD) disks.   More
and more Blu-Ray players for home theater use also have the dual format
capability.

> Do I buy a HD video camera (if the players phase out?), or Blue Ray camera
> for the coming technology?  Is Blue-ray just for movies?  But if it takes a
> different player, why not dual players like the VHS/CD players.  Again, it
> seems the collateral damage of the technology wars is my checkbook, along
> with the losing tecnology.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are high resolution VIDEO DELIVERY systems, not camera
systems.  You would be best to buy a HD-capable video camera.  That will
produce the size of file needed to be high-resolution.  Again, you can
always sample down a copy of the original file for use to make regular DVD
disks, but will always have the original high rez file for future
happenstances.

 This is flyfishing related, because after I have 2 or 3 videos 'in the can'
> from a professional, I want to start filming my own, thus I need to buy the
> equipment.  But if the viewing public has 3 or 4 viewing technologies, which
> one do I film in and make the investment?

Answered above. If it were me, I would produce regular format DVDs.

> Are Blue-rays reproducible?  DO THEY PLAY ON COMPUTERS?  Do they convert to
> other technologies or play on lesser machines?  Are there copyright/security
> programs for them to stop pirating?  Would it be better to film in the older
> technology for the majority that have CD libraries already?

All DVDs can be copy protected, but that is an add-on technology provided by
whoever masters your DVD for mass-production.  Very, very few copy
protection technologies will defeat an hell-bent DVD-ripper with the right
software. Blu-Ray is a proprietory format.  A Blu-Ray disk will not play on
a non-Blu-Ray player.

You should minimally use digital sources, such as CDs, for your music
track.  Analog sources (tapes) will give you noticeably inferior results.
Record your voice track digitally directly to a hard drive or CD-R.

Your key purchase will be your video editing software.  I am on a Mac and
use Final Cut Pro and iMovieHD.  Someone else will have to chime in on the
best software if you are using a Windows PC.

Hope that helps...

Wes Wada
Bend, OR