  From: Jim Collins
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 4:24 PM
  Subject: [VFB] Re: to Mark Romero

  Do not end sentences with a preposition. *

  This is not true at all (it is old grammar school stuff).

  From the Chicago Manual of Style (the bible for an large portion of the
writing world):

  "Usually a preposition comes before its object, but there are exceptions. For
example, the preposition can end a clause, especially a relative clause, or
sentence [this isn't the pen that Steve write with]. And a preposition used
with the relative pronoun that (or with that understood) always follows the
object [this is the moment (that) I've been waiting for]."

  So, while a proposition is definitely preferred-I wish I was going to
Florida, I'd be contacting you about fishing in a heartbeat-there is nothing
wrong with Don's use of the preposition. J

  Sorry, couldn't resist.

  Jim

  Jim Collins

  "I think fly fishing and writing attract the same kinds of personalities.
They tend to be real detail oriented. A fly fisherman will worry about how many
turns of hackle there should be in a dry fly. And a writer will sit up all
night worrying about the proper use of a semicolon."

  --John Gierach

  Do not end sentences with a preposition. *

  BTW, when you are in

  Florida do you want fish with ?  J

  Jerry Goldsmith

  *ending with a proposition is much better.