My advice is don't try to thin it, get a fresh batch. I know people try to
save things and not let things go to waste, but in this case you are
running up against something that has run its chemical course. I use
varnish mostly for bamboo rod making, but once it starts to set I get a
fresh batch. What is happening is the polymers are cross linking and
forming a bond. You really can't reverse that without consequences. If you
are using it to bond to the thread and hold things together, thinning it,
especially after it has started to set or gel will weaken the final cured
product. If you want to thin it when it is fresh, just remember that less
is better.

Lacquers and Varnishes pretty much use two different thinners. You can use
Acetone based thinners for lacquer, but don't use that for varnish it just
destroys it. For most varnishes you should look at the MSDS and see what
the thinning component used is. Turpentine is my personal preference, but
mineral spirits work too. Naptha is another thinner for varnishes. Use the
same thinner the manufacturer used and you should be all right. It does
make a difference.

The Dettes only used varnish on their flies and they bought it in bulk from
the hardware store. I personally prefer the Ace Hardware Spar varnish.
There is a difference between spar varnish and poly varnishes. Poly will
dry and cure faster for flies, but the bottle will probably go bad faster
as well. You can buy a small 4 ounce can from most hardware stores for just
a few dollars, and some high quality stuff at artist supply stores. Get
some smaller bottles and divide it up. Fill them to the top. Oxygen is your
worst enemy and the greater volume of air in the bottle and the greater
surface area of the top of the varnish, the faster things are going to work
against you.

Regards,

Scott