Neville that sounds like lacquer by the description and considering that
lingo changes from one country to the next, it is quite possible that what
they are calling varnish, we market as lacquer at least here in the US.
Lacquer thinner is nothing more than acetone or acetate or similar liquid.
It will also strip old varnish and of course that is what women use for
nail polish remover. Varnish thinners wont strip strip varnish so chemicals
like naptha, toluene, minerla spirits and the such are only good for
thinning the product and cleaning up immediately after application. Once
the curing process has begun they have no effect on actually thinning the
varnish.

Scott