Are any top of the line rods worth the price  ??? That is the million $$
question !!! I have been fishing for over 50 years, and have been through it
all. Today top of the line rods will go for $ 750-800.00...I have never paid
any where near that for any fly rod.. However I have been doing alot of
saltwater fishing and the rods that I currently are using are ones that I built
myself, on rainshadow blanks that were recc to me. The rods came out very
nice(8 & 9 wt) However I am finding the rods just break down when they are
overloaded too much, easy to do saltwater fishing.. I had the pleasure of
fishing an Orvis prototype rod last spring..The rod was unbelieveable.. It felt
like a feather in my hand in my hand and cast like no saltwater rod I have ever
cast.... Well I stopped into Orvis yesterday, and there is a new rod (4 months
ago).. It is the Helios2... $800.00...So what to do buy it ???  One thing I
will say that I would never spend that kind of $$$ if I could not actually fish
the rod under real conditions, just casting just does not do it...Are there
other rods out there , much cheaper and just as good?? Well I jus don't know
unless I can actualy fish it.. So I think it comes down to an individual
personal decision to purchase such a rod, and can you afford it

Ron