Jack,I wrapped my first rod in about 1947 with Silk thread. I started wrapping
Glass and then Graphite rods with Nylon. Only used Color Preserver on very few
rods as it was a real pain in the butt if you did not get the wraps totally
soaked. If not totally soaked dark spots would show up if using varnish. Flex
Coat is an Epoxy finish that does not give you that problem with Nylon. The
past 17 years I have been making bamboo rods and use only silk on them with a
varnish finish and no CP. I like the translucent look of the wraps. Doing this
will change the original color of the thread. It will make it darker or a
totally different color.I think all color preserver now is water base, in the
old days that was not so. It was mostly Shellac base. I still have some of that
on the original bottles.I don't want to bore anyone here on my method of
finishing wraps but if you want to know what I do, feel free to contact me off
list.Is this bamboo or Graphite you are asking about.Tony

     On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:50 PM, Jack Harford <jharford.i...@gmail.com>