Tony:

I think that you should post your method so that we can all learn & take note.
After all, it is very akin in many ways to fly tying. If you are too modest
however, please let me know because I am sure that I can learn something.

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver
BC  Canada

> On May 13, 2015, at 5:19 PM, 'Anthony Spezio' via VFB Mail
> <vfb-mail@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Jack,
> I wrapped my first rod in about 1947 with Silk thread. I started wrapping
> Glass and then Graphite rods with Nylon. Only used Color Preserver on very
> few rods as it was a real pain in the butt if you did not get the wraps
> totally soaked. If not totally soaked dark spots would show up if using
> varnish. Flex Coat is an Epoxy finish that does not give you that problem
> with Nylon. The past 17 years I have been making bamboo rods and use only
> silk on them with a varnish finish and no CP. I like the translucent look of
> the wraps. Doing this will change the original color of the thread. It will
> make it darker or a totally different color.
> I think all color preserver now is water base, in the old days that was not
> so. It was mostly Shellac base. I still have some of that on the original
> bottles.
> I don't want to bore anyone here on my method of finishing wraps but if you
> want to know what I do, feel free to contact me off list.
> Is this bamboo or Graphite you are asking about.
> Tony

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver
BC  Canada