Chuck my friend, if you only buy one book, this is it for fly tying. Between the Benchside Reference and the thousands of free patterns and recipes at Virtual Fly Box, danica.com/flytier, etc., you have it all...all the rest just embelish. The FTBR is the only book above my bench as the rest are coffee table, reading or reference just as my tapes are.
For $75 (about as low as you'll find it, you will receive the essentials of many $20 books making the price a bargain among bargains. I can't tell you how many times other tyers have shown me techniques only to forget a crucial aspect covered in this book. I'm not saying every single "trick" in the entire world is incorporated but well enough to tie any pattern I've ever considered.
Among books for tyers, this one is a "must have" for the novice, intermediate and expert alike. I suggest you read the entire front section from Acknowledgements, Contents (6 pages), and especially Introduction before using. Next, take time to read Chapter One on materials thoroughly and often. Finally, as you learn techniques by section, read all the text first before attempting the Methods. In this way, you will find the book enormously helpful.
BTW, I still have the flys you tied months ago and will "shortly" have a little something coming back. You are on a list but it shortens daily. ;-) Don't feel bad, Wally Lutz will have waited years until I see him at Sowbug!
From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Reply-To: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: [VFB] The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 02:03:13 -0600
Folks: Is this book worth the price???? The Fly Tiers Benchside Reference by Ted Leeson, Jim Schollmeyer Which I think is about $75 right?? Easy for a beginner to understand?? Thanks, Chuck
Find e-mail, documents and more on your PC instantly with Windows Desktop Search–FREE!
