couple of more thought to add to the conversation
Ryanne said it in another thread and I'm planning on saying it in the
video conference - Node101 can be done with no money - we've been
doing it with no money - using our own equipment and donated spaces.
The whole network idea is to let nodes develop where and how they
want - to reflect the needs/desires of the local community.  The last
thing I want to do is manage a world-wide organization!  I'd just
love to help people get them off the ground - teach the teachers kind
of thing. That's what I love doing.

The hard part is, it takes people's time to be available and teach -
that's why I started Freevlog - to help me teach more people than I
had time to do in person.  I'd really love to get money to start what
I call seed nodes (mainly to pay people to teach)  as an example so
others can point to it and say, "we want one of those in our community."

I've run a "general" Media Arts center - we did web, film, graphic
design, animations, etc, etc.  That's very hard to do well.  You
either need lots of people to teach or you need someone crazy enough
to take it all on - Jen and I did this, btw.  The thing that I like
about videoblogging (and podcasting) is that it's a nice framework
around which you can build what you want.  Also it's just plain cool
and can be done with pretty cheap tools (if you bough a used computer
you could build yourself a world wide media studio for under $500).

--
Verdi
http://michaelverdi.com