I think it is a good tactic. Its good to see the people behind the
software... or the people behind the company for that matter. True
fans/geeks love this stuff. It does build trust and I think this is a
good thing. Of course you are correct in insinuating that it could be
used to build a false sense of trust. Marketing is a tricky beast, eh?

At the end of the day, I still don't really know Bill Gates. But at
least I get to see him as a human and see that he really cares about
this stuff. Sure, he's also the founder of a monster corporation, but
there he is, casually being interviewed by someone whom I've been in
personal contact with over email. Yeah, I think this is effective, and
rightly so.

-Josh