> > Fair Use is a broad guideline open to interpretation. If you don't
> > have
> > legal representation that can beat a team of lawyers for a major media
> > conglomerate, I would definitely advise thinking twice before using
> > any
> > copyrighted material.
>
>I agree that that is a fair assessment of the current climate.
>However, how fucked up is it that it's that way?  Pretty damed fucked
>up if you ask me!  The problem is that moneyed interests use our
>elected officials as tools for creating the laws that serve their
>bottom line.

Unfortunate or otherwise, money and clout are power. That has always been
the way the political game has been played.

>One of the things they'd like to prevent through self-
>censorship is people like me making things like this:

I am sure the vagueness of fair use causes a lot of self-censorship. And not
just propaganda stuff either like your piece. The threat of expensive
litigation has, I am sure, kept many from expressing themselves as they
might like.

>On Sep 21, 2005, at 10:46 PM, David Yirchott wrote:
> > Creativity is helped when there is a return on investment. Also, if
> > you
> > can't steal other people's stuff you'll have to create your own --
> > which
> > spurs creativity. I would suggest that reusing content chills
> > creativity
> > more.
>
>See above example as proof that this argument holds no weight.

I am not sure that the above example proves the argument holds no weight. I
never said reusing content cannot be creative, just that reusing content
chills creativity more than having to invent stuff on one's own.

>Verdi

-David