Digital wrote:

>Hey Folks -
>
>We've been talking about ease of use in aggregation and I keep hearing
>about Flash. Isn't there an open source solution like java that can do
>this? I would think the install base should be the same or larger than
>a closed system like Flash.
>
>If anyone knows of a java converter/viewer, I'd love to hear about it!

Flash gets mentioned because the penetration rate is somewhere around
97% of all web browsers.  Most likely, any web-based aggregators will go
with Flash for video.

On the other hand, Java's penatration rate within browsers is unknown
and probably inconsistent in terms of versioning.  There's one Java
aggregator that I've found that does a decent job, even though it's
beta, called I/ON:

http://www.digitalmerging.la/archives/2005/10/ion_video_console_and_media_manager.html

--
Michael Shipp

Blog: digitalmerging - Tech. Media. Convergence.
http://www.digitalmerging.la

Digital Pictures: Pixel Latte
http://www.digitalmerging.net/pixellatte/