I love it when you do this....always enlightening.

On 11/16/05, Michael Meiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
Ok, I actually have the same question. I ran into some old friends in
Chicago at a prominent investment research company and found myself
giving my an impromptu presentation on just what all this new media
stuff is about. I tried to tone down my enthusiasm, but I knew I'd
just sold them on video blogging and podcasting. (It was that damn
pretty itunes interface with all it's CNN and Wallstreet Journal
podcasts that did it.) While this is not a bad thing by any mean I
have to get out a proposal out this week.

I've illustrated 3 different plans for them and I pretty much have
all the numbers. But what's really hard for me to grasp is the
bandwidth and numbers. We're talking 3-6 minute videos 5 days a week,
or at the very least 2 videos a week just to start with. There
subscribership would be very high as they're quite prominent.  So I'm
trying to figure out numbers for say 5,000k,  10,000 and 100,000
subscribers and while I can do some math I'm asking about peoples
experience. How much bandwidth are you guys using, how many
subscribers do you have?

I personally just used like 40gig of bandwidth in 48 hours with one
video clip of David Cross from Arrested development. But I don't
normally host videos as I'm a revlogger ad a promoter of all your
fine works, not a vlogger myself. So, this is an incredibly usussual
thing for me.

Off topic point one...

Is there anyone doing paid vlog or audio podcast subscriptions?

On a side note, there's the big monetization issue. Does anyone here
know if anyone's tried doing paid subscription video casts.  I'm sure
sooner or later Apple will offer RSS podcasted DRM'd feeds of music
and / or audio podcasts. After all it makes a hell of a lot of sense
to subscribe to an entire season of Lost or Desperate Housewives and
have it delivered right to your computer than to have to constantly
wait for it to come out and then buy it a la carte. However, I'm not
waiting around. And I believe DRM is like putting a ten dollar bill
in a half ton safe. Complete overkill and a stupid arse pain in the
arse for everyone.  So, what I'm asking is what mechanisms for paid
subscription are people using? Are there any? or is everyone just
doing advertising?  Advertising will not fly for this product. Not
the client and not the customers who'll be day traders, brokers and
people who'll be getting the morning report on their way to the
trading room floor. They're going to be very willing to pay for a
good product and won't put up with much advertising at all. They're
the sort of people who believe in money in hand and paying for what
they want and don't fuck around. It's the perfect demographic really.
So... it'll probably a paid subscription morning report... witht he
same content being offered free after 11pm.  Timeliness is everything.

Of topic point two... Long live the videographer

About the generally increasing need for good videographers.

It's way to early to say if my little project will fly, but if it
does go the way I hope my client will be needing a part-time or
fulltime videographer and audio editor to manage all the day-to-day
operations.

I definitely not selling myself for that job, I don't have the
skills, I just love to help build stuff, not run it. But that's
getting a head of everything.

What I'm really saying is these sort of opportunities for
videographers are exploding right now.  With the ametuerization of
video based media the ones that benefit most are going are the
professional videographers... Sounds strange right? Wrong. People
ALWAYS make this mistake.

The more widespread a technology gets the more people appreciate
professional quality. Most of all knowledge worker fields or at least
most of all creative fields are based upon what I call an
"appreciation economy".

It's something I learned very early on in design. The more designers,
the more appreciation for design. The more good designers the more
appreciation for good design. The only thing I can't abide is truly
bad design done by people who really ought to know better.

Why the hell do you think everyone in the creative fields flocks to
big competitive markets like NY. It's because widespread adoption and
exposure breeds further appreciation. Some say competition breeds
innovation. Yes, true, but it also breeds appreciation and more
appreciation breeds growth in an industry.

You see this from the microeconomics to the macroeconomics. Blogs
have helped news media and most of the traditional print news
companies have adapted and are now making more money than ever,
though admittedly a few are failing to adapt.

Digital photography and the widespread distribution of cheap camera's
has not just made the photography more competitive. Now infinitely
more people are making infinitely more money as professional
photographers.

Ebay ametuerized commerce... now more people than ever are making
more money and the majority of those in the middle of the tail, like
professional antiquers are making more money than ever. Ask an
antique dealer who sells on ebay.

So too will you make more money as professional videographers. The
trick is staying on the forefront as far up in the middle of that
curve is possible... and I don't think anyone who is going to be
reading this is going to have any trouble doing that because by
definition you're up on the latest trends in your field if your
participating in this group and vlogging.

Anyway, that's why I'm doing everything I can for my part in helping
democratized media. It helps to not only redistribute everything from
power to money to the great debate, but it also helps grow the debate
and the economy. Everyone wins, even those retarded saps, the
incumbent media like record labels and big media companies who are
bitching and whining.. ironically they stand to benifit too... just
as news media companies have benifited tremendously from blogging.
The NYTimes is doing better than ever thank you very much. That's a
far cry from obselete wouldn't you say?

Well, I've said to much again and gotten way off subject.

Peace,

-Mike of mmeiser.com/blog

Individual Fireant Use