On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:13:38 +0100, Adrian Miles
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> around the 23/11/05 Lucas Gonze mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
> Re: War On Text that:
>> Any idea where video is in there, Andreas?
>
> video as most of us think of it is indexical in the first instance.
> An index is a sign where there is a *necessary* existential relation
> between the sign and the thing. Which is fancy pragmatic American
> philosophy (this comes from C.S. Peirce, famous US philosopher) speak
> for the thing the sign stands for had to be there. eg smoke as sign
> of fire.
>
> This is partly basis of my argument in the essay i did on blogs as a
> form documentary.

Disclaimer: I read your article, but it's been a couple of weeks so I may
have gotten stuff mixed up afterwards. I have also only read secondary
literatur about Peirce because 100 year-old philosophy in English is
harder to read than the essays of Adrian Miles. :o)

To me it's hard to look at video in general, because you can do so much
with video that it's hard to say 'video is indexical'. With that said I
was surprised to see little talk about photography and video as icons.
Yes, video is connected to what was recorded, but largely it convey its
ideas by imitating them (a very good imitation, often). So I see video as
being primary iconic with indexical signs at certain points (Columbia
University subway sign as an index for a certain part of NYC).

But like I said video is so complex that it contains all types of signs in
one happy unison. Voice-overs as symbols (apart from onomatopoetic words),
parts of film grammar are symbols as well.

- Andreas
--
<URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM