Sorting by popularity is something I do on the /feeds/ page (because
you have to sort by something), but it's the easy way out. I don't
like it, and I'm adding other sorting options in the next version
(coming out end next week).

I believe in random listing of vlogs more so than any other algorithm, and I am aware that even randoms are imperfect.
So, i disagree that you *have* to sort by something.  I show latest 10 and Random 10 on main page of vlogdir... also generate another random 10 in the nav as well as a random vlog in each category, also via the nav menu.  I think vlogdir achieves greater fairness in vlog exposure by doing this.
On mefeedia directory, for several months you see the same vlogs first and that is not likely to change since, afterall, they always appear first which increases exposure every time.  It would be better to reverse that or change it to newest added to your directory.  My opinion.  And, i know you agree and are working towards such mindsets.  :-)

sull

On 11/26/05, petertheman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I think vlogging can be greatly impacted through directories.
That is why
> > we as a community should work to set up an "open directory" that
will become
> > the accepted norm.  Otherwise, others will set up slanted and
manipulated
> > and even "closed" directories.

I am (clearly, since I built Mefeedia.com) a believer in directories.
They have their pros and cons. And I do believe strongly that having
*open* directories is very important. I try hard to make Mefeedia
open, and there are things I still need to work on. 1 example is: I
don't allow star ratings with reviews, because that would encourage a
mindset of "popularity is important".

Sorting by popularity is something I do on the /feeds/ page (because
you have to sort by something), but it's the easy way out. I don't
like it, and I'm adding other sorting options in the next version
(coming out end next week). The problem with popularity is not just
that it encourages the "popular" mindset (is this highschool or what?)
but also: what is the algorythm? Right now, in Mefeedia it's just
amount of videos watched. But that's not that great.

So anyways, what does an "open" directory mean?

Having a directory is great for 2 things: to introduce newbies to
videobloggers, and to go find some new stuff you didn't know about.

Having an "open" directory means that all videobloggers have an equal
chance to get listed in the directory, and to get discovered in the
directory. It means that you don't just promote the popular and
commercial stuff, but that you actively try to promote the unknown
vlogs too.

Enough ranting!
Peter
--