From: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com [mailto:videoblogging@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Watkins
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 10:12 AM
To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [videoblogging] Re: DivX - Shameless Plug

Cheers :)

My impression of things is probably a bit wrong, Im probably
underestimating the number of DivX certified players etc that exist.
And yes when thinking of videoblogging, Im not thinking of the
billions of legacy files that consumers want to play, indeed Im
avoiding talking about that stuff at all because its 'grey' to say the
least. Still it is similar to how mp3 become the established standard
for audio. DivX doesnt dominate to quite the extent mp3 does though, I
see a lot of xvid stuff floating around, but maybe they are pretty
compatible.

Regarding mp4 support from the likes of Apple and Sony, it will be
interesting to see what happens. Apple have actually been good about
this so far, they could have limited ipod support to .mov containers
only, if they wanted to keep tighter control of ipod video creation
tools. They havent, theyve allowed normal m4 to work. The fact that
only baseline h264 works is likely due to the choice of decoder chip,
rather than a deliberate imcompatibility with PSP h264. Sony on the
otherhand have either due to sloppyness or deliberate policy, messed
with the PSP mp4 container, but it still hasnt stopped people creating
3rd party PSP video encoders.

Did you say in the pst that DivX are working on playback in browsers?
Compared to Apple's stuff thats where you are lacking most, and also
lacking something like itunes and content deals. Im not so sure all
those billions of legacy divx avi's will mean all that much to
hardware manufacturers in the longterm. When people are buying more
video online, it wont be in avi format. Couple that with phones &
other devices creating mp4's of one kind of another, and next-gen DVD
using h264, and I am not so sure DivX compatibility will continue to
be such a selling point for DVD hardware players etc in the future.

Steve of Elbows