On Dec 20, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Markus Sandy wrote:

hi kitka,

you've touched on some hot topics and this is a very lively group
sometimes it does feel a bit like a punk slam dance in here :)

my points were mainly just data points to consider and to indicate that some of this has been going on for quite some time (like so much that has come together in videoblogging)

i agree that this seems to be vlog directory issue.  the general topic of vlog directories and how they might be improved was suggested as a topic for our last video conference, but we only touched on it briefly when clint sharp stopped in (he is building the new fireant directory).

I think we need to get over the "directory" concept... It is a dead end in a sense... a trap.  Directories do not work in the long tail because they must be created socially through the contributions of many... and if they're only being used for lookup then they're not in the workflow and so are not being improved.  So we need to stop thinking about these things as "directories" and start thinking of them as "marketplaces"  or sharing spaces, for organizing, tagging, and sharing videos and feeds. We must place them in the workflow...  We must think of them as an additional public space.

Traditionally we have our vlogs... our homes... and our aggregators our personal space.... what we need now is work spaces that are public spaces... more space to make sense out of vlogs... like parks. More space.

perhaps you will join our (generally friendly) vid conf tonight from 5-7pm pacific / 8-10pm eastern and bring up the topic for more discussion.  Devlon of MeFeedia has suggested the topic of "how can we improve vlog directories" and i think this certainly falls under the dicsussion, so please join us if you can.

Wish I could join the conference tonight, but I'm not good with the highly structured format and am in fact busy with family.

-Mike

tonight's conference is at
http://flash.kmi.open.ac.uk:8080/fm/index.php?pwd=565f36-2611

up to 25 max can join at any time for the 2 hour meeting, you don't need a camera and mic, but it's so much more fun that way.

hope you will join in or at least stop by and say hello.

markus

Ms. Kitka wrote:
Markus,

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

hi kitka, welcome to the group

Thanks, I'm starting to question why I joined since I've already
encountered a couple of bullies.

a few points that might relate:

1. every night for the past *several years*, many people build

temporary

sex blogs and vlogs (group blogs actually).  Hundreds of people share
personal videos (thousands share photos).  These are paid services and
rarely have RSS feeds (yet), but they definitely support comments and
conversation!  One popular example of this is "Homeclips".

What was the point you meant to make by this?  Is it that there is
free porn out there that is accessible to children?  That's why I
wrote a message today about the idea of having a .kids domain for
children... to completely protect them from accessing any porn sites.

2. i think *a lot* of people get their porn from ads, previews and
catalogs (i.e., free)

That might be true, but if there are porn preview video-podcasts, do
we want them on vlog directories?  I think the problem is the lack of
a description... sure it's great to have an open definition of our new
media, but it allows for absolutely anything, including advertising,
to be included in the terms.

3.  someone posted this link to the group the day before you joined:
 http://yumyumgirlieshow.libsyn.com/

Yes, I saw that show for the first time the other day on mefeedia... I
noticed on mefeedia that my show is tagged as "Possible Adult
Content", while the Yum Yum Girlie Show is not tagged like this at
all.  The difference is that my show has no nudity, but this is
blatent masturbation material.

regards, markus

Thanks for being civil, Markus, not everyone in this group seems to be
the same.

Kitka

ms.kitka wrote:

I've been keeping a close eye on the porn industry and
video-podcasting over the past few months and I have found that there
is very little in the way of sex-based videoblogs.  I even asked my
viewers to e-mail me if they find other sex videoblogs because I would
like to review them.  I received a lot of e-mails about the top three
sex videoblogs that I already knew about!

What I've found is that the porn industry is mostly staying away from
videoblogging and that only a handful of porn sites are making
video-podcasts that show previews for their films to be viewed on the
video iPod.

But, seriously, what's the point?  I can't imagine many people
subscribing since it's just a preview... all it is is junk
advertising.  I'm just hoping that they will realize that it is not
worth their time and stop spamming vlog directories with their
annoying marketing strategies.

Kitka

http://apperceptions.org
http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com