--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Deirdre Straughan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Geez, I leave you guys alone for a couple of days and you're STILL
wallowing
> in definitions.

I know you're probably kidding.  But I do think there's value in
exploring the different technical and theoretical possibilities in the
emerging media of videoblogging.

> I'm glad you're having fun with it, but would be comforted by a few
clear
> statements

Since this is a developing, changing area with some things that
Andreas, Adrian Miles and others are doing have not yet been easily
implemented for general usage.  And new devices, standards will
probably develop a year from that don't exist now.  A definitive
statement is probably not possible yet.

>that even though this group is called "videoblogging", people who
> are doing things with video online that don't quite fit your definition
> (when and if you ever agree on one) are nonetheless welcome here.
> Entertaining though it is, I fear that all the nitpicking may drive away
> some people.

Some of this is not nitpicking.  There is conceptualy exploration on
the workings and possiblities of a developing media form, videoblogging.

Personally I think this is a good location for such discussion.  I see
locations like http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vlogtheory as usefull
when a workable, clear theory comes about.  There the theory can be
codified, expanded and such.  But for a variety of clear, intelligent,
cogent views to hash and compete things out, an open, unrestricted
discussion is better.  A place like this where there are many
competing signals and some noise that brings in new views.

I don't think people who are not interested in such discussions should
be intimidated.  I don't talk theory to look down on people, but
because I think it's useful.  And if someone doesn't like the
conversation, they can avoid the thread.  But I don't think people
should be limited in their range of discussion based on someone else
possibly being offended.

On noise and alternate views, I disagree with completing dismissing
competing proposals such as Will's assertion on the supremacy of
content to media.  There is a DNA of content that often persists
across different media.  The syntax of film (cutting, lighting, etc.)
is recognizable even when it's been transformed in the media of
television.

  -- Enric

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM