I would say that you should consult with the porn site owners and
get their input. I wouldn't think that they would want their stuff
accessed by kids any more than you do.

I think Richards biggest issue seemed to be that MeFeedia seemed to
arbitrarily pick his feed out for labeling without consulting with
him first. A little communication can go a long way. He's a long
time member of this community and has contributed a lot to it.

I think on solution to the problem could be just smarter directory
structure (not easy I know) that makes sure that people see what
they want to see without censoring the content producers or creating
adult ghetto categories.

Bill Streeter
LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
www.lofistl.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sullivan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> the first porn sites were added to vlogdir.com last week.
> that prompted me to add an Adult Content category.
>
> i can add a custom wrapper on that category to do a number of
things... such
> as warnings, agreements and so-called age check, access
restriction until a
> request is made to gain access, or do nothing (current status).
>
> i just have not made a final decision yet.  i think it may depend
on the
> type of porn site... the ones added to vlogdir.com were typical
porn sites
> with a front being a videoblog... as a teaser... which lead you
into joining
> as a member etc....
> other sites may just be adult content, some porny stuff, but not
that
> typical porn network concept.
>
> too busy to put effort into any one approach here... but soon i
will make
> some sort of adjustment WITHOUT censoring honest works.
> this may include 'the video stores back porn room' approach....
getting in
> may require a request to adjust member permissions.
>
> i know sites like the one added to vlogdir dont give a shit about
> vlogging... there just trying to make money.  i dont feel much
concern for
> them...
> but stuff like madge puts out... that HAS a place here!
>
> sull
>
> On 1/10/06, Devlon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Let's talk.
> >
> > It's a hot topic right now since our (Mefeedia) site chose one
method
> > to make the site 'safe for work' etc.
> >
> > Disclaimer: I want to talk as an individual, not as someone
affiliated
> > with Mefeedia.  That being said...
> >
> > There is a post on the Mefeedia blog that pointed out how
content that
> > might not be safe for work is handled.  The author of the post
picked
> > the first feed that they came across, it was never meant to
single out
> > anyone.  Apologies for singling out anyone that was not the
intent at
> > all.
> >
> > I've spent the morning listening to Richard's podcast.  And he's
> > asking questions...I have some answers, as an individual, not as
> > spokesperson of mefeedia.
> >
> > Why do we need do cover up images like a vagina smoking a
cigarette
> > (for example)?  Personally, I know that kids will find porn
online,
> > that's not why I feel some images need to be categorized
or 'covered
> > up'.  I feel it is important for browsing at work or something
like
> > that, maybe over at my parent's places, etc.  So here I am
browsing
> > around and I get explicit images on the screen, my boss comes in
my
> > office and thinks I am browsing porn.
> >
> > I have no problem with porn, trust me...you should see my
> > collection...It has nothing to do with monetization, etc.  It's
about
> > having a site that everyone can use anywhere, in a school, in a
> > library, etc.
> >
> > Freedom of speech is thrown around right and left, but if a
review of
> > someone's feed isn't appreciated, then it's 'a bad' review, or
> > un-fair.  How does that work?
> >
> > I have questions.  How do the other sites handle content?  How
do we
> > as a community make sites that everyone, anyone can watch
anywhere?

> > There are several feeds that have been flagged as potential adult
> > content, not just the one, there are 25 of them.  But I agree
that
> > there should be some dialog with the producers of the feeds
before
> > they get flagged, that's where Mefeedia did go wrong, agreed.
The
> > process is being refined.  It's not the content of the video
that I
> > feel needs to be indentified, it's the thumbnails.
> >

> > --
> > ~Devlon
> > Blog: <http://devlond.blogspot.com>
> > Vlog: <http://8bitme.blogspot.com>
> >
> > <http://mefeedia.com> -OR- <http://mefeedia.com/blog>
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> --
> sull
> "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and
revelation
> from which new form is born"
> http://vlogdir.com - The Videoblog Directory
> http://videobloggers.org - Free Videoblog Hosting / Vlogosphere