Yes you are correct, to play on the PSP there needs to be some
modification to the mp4 file, to include an atom structure that is
compatible with PSP. The various programs that are available to
speficially do PSP encodes know this, and have worked out how to do
it. Luckily it doesnt seem to interfere with the ability of the mpeg4
to playback on ipod or quicktime etc.

So it is possible to create an mpeg4 that plays on both. The same is
not true of h264 though, because the PSP uses main profile h264,
wheras the ipod uses baseline. There is a chance the PSP could be made
to play baseline too, but I hack suitable software to take a ipod
baseline h264 and add the sony psp atom structure to it, for testing
purposes.

There are loads of other slight differences between psp and ipod spec,
such as slightly different maximum resolutions of mpeg4, maximum
bitrate etc, but the typical 320x240 stuff can be made to work subject
to the above advice.

I'll asnswer the other mpeg4 issues as best I can shortly.

Cheers

Steve of Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Arnþór Snær <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> fyi
>
> Mp4 files made with isquint seem to play on ipod video but not psp while
> mp4 files made with psp video 9 utility will play on both.
>
> It's my understanding that Sony added "something" that will not allow
> regular mp4 files that meet the spec to play on psp. I may be wrong
on this.

> -A
>

> On 2/11/06, WWWhatsup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > oh, and I should point out that it's not necessarily a QT file as
such,
> > it's
> > a Sony file.
> >
> > I'll make something smaller that can be d/l'd easily.

> > >it's a big file..
> > >
> > >http://www.archive.org/download/punkcast881/881wildfiyah.mp4

AAC audio.
> > MP3 audio in a video file will not work on an iPod.

> > understand what would make it play locally and not from the web.

> > embedded online - I don't

> > >             WWWhatsup NYC
> > >http://pinstand.com - http://punkcast.com

> >              WWWhatsup NYC