Oh dear, I think you are right. I just had a few goes and it didnt
work. It works ok if you dont use h264.

I dunno if its an Apple mistake or if there is any wayround this
problem. I have a suspicion Apple may have done it deliberately, to
maek sure people use the ipod export option, and thus propagate that
darn .m4v extension. Why do they always seem to take something away
when they give us something new? I like the ipod conversion built into
itunes but arghghg @ apple.

Ive not had much time at all recently, but I will try to see if theres
much on the internet about this issue. All these problems make
alternatives to quicktime for encoding more interesting. However Im
not sure things like iSquint have got the mpeg4 licencing stuff to be
completely legitimate, dont know if that affects what advise you
should put in a book.

Anyway thanks for bringing up the .mp4 topic. Much of the discussion
seems hto have gone back to h264 issues again, which are not strictly
speaking related to the .mp4 format, oh you know how it is by now, all
this detail makes simple advice hard to do sometimes.

Mimetype issue will complicate things for some people getting into
videoblogging and using their own servers. Most video hosting serives
should be .mp4 sroted by now, some will be sorted for .m4v too. But
many shared & dedicated webservers are probably still given to the
customer with only older formats such as .mov in the mimetype config,
requiring some fiddling.

Likewise issues with people using things like Wordpress, Drupal etc.
Its not hard at all for developers to add .mp4 support to a system
that already handles mov and enclosures, its just that such a low
proportion of users of these systems do video, that progress on this
front can be overlooked for ages. Im out of date with wordpress, not
tried version 2 yet, but Im saddened that Drupal hasnt got their media
support module(s) very mature yet.

I'll probably take a week off work soon and will try to update myself
on all these issues, as I do want to get round to videoblogging one of
these days.

Other stuff Ive said to this list about mp4 in recent times has mostly
been bemoaning a lack of progress in terms of the theoeritcal reaons
to use .mp4 instead of .mov coming to fruition. Progress on
alternative encoders ahs been good, but lack of alternative plugin for
browser playback means that people are still tied to quicktime, wheras
 a beauty of .mp4 should be that people who hate quicktime can avoid
it altogether. Right not they can, but not if they want to see video
in the browser. DivX browser plugin is good but wont help us as their
use of mpeg4 uses .avi (or .divx) container not .mp4.

Cheers

Steve of Elbows