ah. i see. you are just looking to save money on server costs and not
a cooperative, creative venture. my mistake.

quite right. blip and ourmedia host video and dreamhost offers good
hosting deals (i use them myself and think they're great!). guess i
saw the words "cooperative" and "group" and did a little free association.

it got me thinking about ways that groups of videoblogs could work
cooperatively on a single project while maintaining their own
respective vlogs and not getting lost in the shuffle of thousands of
available feeds. i was thinking about projects such as the pan which i
think is an excellent concept.

when you ask a question on a message board, david, you will get many
different ideas coming back. some, will be helpful to you. some might
not be but may spark ideas in others. we call this conversation...

...so, gear down, big rig!

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Clint Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To second your concerns, I would add that Dreamhost or any of a thousand
> other hosting companies already do a good job of sharing servers
> professionally.  I don't see any savings for anyone in trying to do this
> themselves as opposed to using a cheaper hosting provider.  Secondly,
> Dreamhost offers 1 TB of transfer on a $10/mo hosting account, when most
> dedicated servers only offer 1.8 to 2 TB for a hosted server for
somewhere
> between $100-$200 a month.  The math doesn't add up if all you want
to do is
> host files.
>
> To get a better deal, you're really going to have to lease rack
space in a
> datacenter, buy some hardware and install it your self.
>
> Clint
>
> On 2/18/06, David Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >  I am not interested in becoming part of some consortium of vloggers.
> > All I am interested in is a simple solution of a dedicated server
> > where the bandwidth is reserved strictly for the use of hosting videos
> > off of. No home page. No listings. Just a file server is all I want.
> > Blip and Ourmedia already do what it is you are talking about.
> >
> > I know I said that I would be interested in getting into this however
> > rather than get involved with a gazillion ideas of how people want to
> > try and become the next Blip or Ourmedia or Internet Archive, I think
> > I'll bail out of this idea right now and host my own videos myself.
> >
> > David
> > http://www.taoofdavid.com
> >
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <annewalk@> wrote:
> > >
> > > hi all. lurker here...
> > >
> > > i have been reading this thread with interest.
> > >
> > > could not a group of like minded vloggers get a host with lots of
> > > bandwidth that they each pay into and name a domain. then, the main
> > > domain could be used to list the contributing videoblogs and maybe a
> > > blurb about them (how about a most recent upload from each of them
> > > too?) then, each of them would have a subdomain off of the main one
> > > that they could use as their own videoblog.
> > >
> > > eg: coolvids.com (intro to the project and it's participants)
> > >
> > > ed.coolvids.com
> > > vic.coolvids.com
> > > sandy.coolvids.com....etc.
> > >
> > > each subdomain should be able to track their own stats, etc,
shouldn't
> > > they? i'm not a technical person by any means. i don't know how many
> > > subdomains are allowed, etc. is there a limit or does it depend
on the
> > > package?
> > >
> > > ...unless you're talking about something that encompasses many
> > > participants. then i would think that a paid service would be
better.

> > > i would be very interested in seeing small groups of compatible
> > > videoblogs working together, however. i think it would be much more
> [...]
ISPs give

[EMAIL PROTECTED]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>