--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Streeter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Fortunately, thanks to the popularity of the iPod and it's
> supporting software iTunes, quicktime isn't all that rare on PC's
> anymore. It's pretty standard in fact--for people inclined to
> consume online media.
>
> I currently post iPod compatible MOVs and Flash, but that may change
> soon. The ratio of views that I get is 50 to 1 favoring quicktime.

Thanks, Bill.  I like the idea of just releasing iPod compatible MOVs.  I've
been doing some
research on what codec & encoding settings to use with Apple Compressor.  Care
to share
what settings you use?

The video blog I'm working on will be short (1-5 minute) videos.  Because
they're short,
I'm hoping to release videos at 640x480 size and still have a relatively small
file for users
to download.  But from what I've read, iPods can't handle 640x480, they can
only handle
480x480.  Unfortunately, I don't have a video ipod to test on.  Has anyone
tried getting
640x480 to work on a video ipod?

MP4 vs. H.264:
Seems MP4 is the safer route (i.e. more users will be able to watch MP4 because
1. they
have quicktime 6, not 7, and 2. their old CPUs would choke on H.264).  And
since my
videos will be short, I don't have to worry as much about the larger file size
and bandwidth
requirements.  Am I making sense here?