--- Deirdre Straughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> But because the law
> offers no protection for such creative re-use, it
> had to be removed from
> ourmedia when the copyright owner (United Features
> Syndicate) complained.
> This is an area of law which needs to be tested by
> the courts, but won't be
> if we all hide under Creative Commons.

there's no incentive to test this in the courts,
because major copyright owners - the ones likely to be
involved in test cases - are inherently likely to win,
given a) the resources they can bring to the table to
fight, and b) the fact that the laws are written
"poorly" (in other words, massively in their favor) in
the first place.  when congress can just wave its
magic wand and extend copyright indefinitely, who
cares what some minor court has to say about anything.

the whole point of creative commons is that this
process is *not* hidden, that it's exposed to all
sides of the process - media consumers, media
producers, and media distributors.  what you seem to
be suggesting here seems a little wonky:

> And, I reiterate: the music currently available
> under Creative Commons does
> not suit every need. I did look once for Indian
> music to use in my trailer,
> and did not find it. Someone in this thread said
> something about using
> popular music being "easy". Damn right, and that's
> part of the reason I do
> it.

which seems to me to be "since there isn't enough good
CC music in the world, the law should let me take
whatever i want from whomever i want", and that is
conceptually problematic.  CC is a nascent movement;
of course it doesn't suit every need right now.  but
the likelihood that CC could grow as a popular
movement into the sort of thing that suits your/our
needs is much greater in my opinion than the
likelihood that the united states congress is going to
suddenly have an a-ha moment, ignore entertainment
industry lobbying groups, and magically stop
repressing remix culture.

-scotto

--
CHERUB - the vampire with bunny slippers
http://www.cautionzero.net/cherub/