http://feeds.feedburner.com/spainfulfilms.mp4?d=25
is a redirect for:
http://www.cinemabank.co.uk/spainful/MP4/fashion05POD.mp4

what would be wrong with this format instead?

http://feeds.feedburner.com/ spainfulfilms?d=25&file=fashion05POD.mp4

On 3/16/06, Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
true.
but it would be so simple if redirect urls with parameters just added a file extension parameter at the end as well. that would be a friendlier approach.
RSS aggregation of item enclosures were intended to be the actual direct url to media file.  But, I suppose you cannot get around these redirects and url params on the enclosures.... for these tracking purposes and whatever else.

Problem also is, i've seen redirect urls that do not hold proper header data and no reference to filename is url. This is just yet another standards issue.

I did note that feedburner was not technically doing anything 'wrong' but its definately an annoyance.... one resolvable by simply adding the filename with extension at the end of the url string.  why is that not less acceptable?

Regardless, I will use http check and hope that most cases actually have proper header info on the file.  no guarantees there but at least feedburner is doing it right.

sull

On 3/16/06, Andreas Haugstrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:17:15 +0100, Michael Sullivan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ie. http://feeds.feedburner.com/spainfulfilms.mp4?d=25
> via:
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/spainfulfilms
>
> This feed doesnt work in FireAnt or any aggregator that currently uses
> typical file extention detection of media format (since often mime types
> in
> feeds are not accurate).
>
> Should'nt we get feedburner to modify it so its more cross-compatible
> (such
> as ending the url with .ext)?  This is annoying and even though not
> technically wrong to do on feedburner's part, they should have taken this
> issue into consideration before breaking direct media urls like this.  I
> dont want to write new code to handle 'special' direct media url formats.

The file name still has a .mp4 extenstion. The ?id=25 is the query string.
Without knowing for sure I'm guessing that FireANT fails because it
doesn't follow redirects (the URL responds with a 302 header that points
to the original video URL.

So Feedburner has a correct filename ending in .mp4 and they are even
sending the correct mime type (video/mp4). If an aggregator doesn't work
with these URLs the aggregator needs to use a proper HTTP library. Setting
up limitations like "video files must have a file extension" and "you
cannot use redirects" are more than a little silly.

This isn't a case of having to write special software to handle these
special URLs. These are normal URLs and if the software was using HTTP
correctly (following redirects, breaking apart filename from query string
before checking for file extension) there would be no problems.

--
Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen