I'm going to disagree to agree.

Actually banning a user's feed is not just a start it's the
solution... feed and user account mechanism are I think more than
enough of a "trusted" unit to discourage abuse.

Exibits

Exibit A... I thought technoratti tags would encourage spam... little
did I realize how powerful a trust mechanism feeds were... you
spam... you're feed gets banned. If you can trust a feed you can
trust a the tags sufficiently

Exibit B... I realized this on mefeedia too.. we can manage or porn
spam problem (not to be confused with good legitimate adult content)
through very simple user flagging and feed banning either by feed or
domain.

The amount of effort the inappropriate user has to put into setting
up a feed and moving the media to a new new host or moving a domain
is infinitely more effort then it takes to root out and ban them.
Especially when that effort of discovery of inappropriate content by
flagging is shared by the community. This is not to be confused by
the way with self censorship... we're well past the point where we
need a political oversight committee to determine what is appropriate
for us... that's all about personal empowerment... you choose who you
subscribe to (aka. trust) and we're even getting to the point of
personal blacklisting on the internet in large scale ways.  That is
self censoring... what I'm talking about is out and out spam.

Exibit C... the last exibit is wikipedia... i was disappointed that
they had to actually stop allowing anyone to edit without even
signing up. Not suprised... but the real revolution and innovation
around social engineering with wikipedia is in how they proved how
truely open and accessible a webservice could be if engineered
properly. Their boundries were amazingly low... you had to have a
computer with a basic browser on the internet... that's it for
accessibility and trust. All systems have boundriess... this yahoo
group has boundries.  Part of the big revolution in vlogging and
media... over TV is that the boundries have nearly evaporated.

So... yeah... basic user accounts and the trusted system of feeds/
subscription is probably all the trust we'll ever need. If anything I
think in the future these boundaries will get even shades more open,
or shades softer as it is probably better put.

All veoh has to do is kill this users feed and he's lost hundreds of
hours of work and time... their effort is negligent... the real issue
therefore is a) not abusing power, and b) their politics,
particularly that they benifit from this sort of infringement...

But let's be clear... this is not a crisis... it's damn good
debate... I have yet to see the cricis in this issue if one exist.
Veoh... at the most is using negligble judgement on fair use... and
do to the state of copyright law neither them nor us can really make
that call until they find themselves in court... which is why we need
this knock down drag out debate about copyright issues, creative
commons, copyleft and copyright reform.

Good stuff.

-Mike