you're right, josh.

it's not like a comet hitting the earth. it's like a muzzle.

citizen journalists would be silenced. no more inconvenient news would leak. musicians who are making their own music videos and record labels via the net would no longer have that option. it would be the major labels or nothing. filmmakers who are using the net to produce compelling content that hollywood would never touch would have no way to distribute their stuff to a broad audience. small businesses would no longer be able to compete with multinational conglomerates. there would be no new tech products like we're seeing an explosion of with web2.0 companies. innovation would die. power would be in the hands of only a few large entities that would dictate what can and cannot be transmitted on their service (it's not like you can go somewhere else). non-profits would shut down. only politicians with large financial backing would be able to get their messages out. competition in all categories would be wiped out. when that happens, the smaller economies that rely on those smaller companies would also be wiped out.

who relies on the net? we all do, whether we think we do or not. even if you never go online, you are reliant on it because all organizations are hooked into it. your bank. your hospital. the stores you shop at. even your church.

as for email, you realize that there is a push going on at the same time for e-stamps for email, don't you josh? companies that don't pay up cannot be assured that their email will reach it's final destination. they are considering extending this "service" to all email.

and, remember, we are talking about at&t as one of these players who would control how information moves across the net and who it gets to. weren't they just outed for helping with the wiretapping campaign?

there are ramifications to this that are far reaching - far beyond the ability to post a few fun vids for friends and family. this would effectively change the economic and political map.

it's a big deal.