You hit upon what I think is the missing factor in this thread....the
viewers.....and that was whom I was talking about when I started this
thread, the average joe or jane who goes online to view videos, when
they go online they think YouTube because that is all that they have
heard, with all respects to Yahoo's buyout of Broadcast.com in 1999,
who in the general public heard of Broadcast.com prior to Yahoo
buying them out?  I would venture a small handful.  It is the general
public I talk about a lot when I think about these things....

To the average person, the one who knows nothing of RSS feeds,
subscribing to blogs, heck they don't even know what a blog is,
honestly most don't.  Come to Cincinnati, stop 10 people random on
the street, I bet 1 maybe 2 have heard of RSS or a blog...but ask
them if they have heard of YouTube?  I would bet it's half...(sure
that is just a guess, I suppose I will have to go downtown with my
camera and ask them)

That doesn't mean I think YouTube is the best place for videos, I
don't, personaly I want people to come to my site.  But that's me,
all I can do is one step at a time try and teach people the
differance and why sites like Blip are better.

But the average joe wants to turn on the tv and look at a guide and
channel surf, and YT is good for that, for better for worse....

Heath
http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Ha! Now I have your attention.... (ahem)
>
> My comments were summarising some general sentiments that I seem to
have
> noticed rather than intended to point to anyone in particular.
>
> I would agree with Mike that there is a "broader dialogue" outside
of
> YouTube which YouTubers who never leave the walled garden don't
participate
> in.  But it's also true that there's a large and vibrant dialogue
going on
> *within* YouTube which (I'm generalizing...).  Now, to be fair, a
lot of
> that dialogue is YouTubers talking to other YouTubers about
YouTubey things
> (as opposed to, say, videobloggers talking to video bloggers about
video
> bloggy things...). But still.
>
> I guess having one foot in one camp and a toe dipped tentatively in
the
> other (thanks in no small part to Blip.tv, about whom i cannot say
enough
> etc.....) I am just seeing what looks (to my superficial eyes) to
be some
> small patches of itchy irony.
>
> As for the "destination blog/vlog" vs. the live journal blog
analogy.... I
> agree that the 'top tier' blogs (in something of a self perpetuating
> system...) sit above the proletariat (ahem), and the same could be
true for
> video blogs.   Would I like to migrate all my subscribers somewhere
I could
> monetize my work? Sure.  Do I think, at this point, that there are
enough of
> them, and that enough of them would follow to make a tactical
withdrawal
> from YouTube worth my while?  Probably not.  Perhaps Malcolm
Gladwell could
> identify the dozen people who would have to leave YouTube for a
Tipping
> Point style collapse, but I fear I'm not one of them...
>
> Am I going to be tarred by the bush of "YouTuber" as my content
migrates
> other places?  It may be too late for that.  Or it may not.
> One thing I think is interesting is that I read a lot about how the
internet
> is increasingly "invisible" (ie taken for granted) by the current
> generation, with media distinctions essentially blurring.  And I'm
reading
> here that, if anything, more media distinctions are what's called
for. Hmmm.

> Meanwhile, I do actually sort of understand what an RSS feed does.
I can't