I dont feel like that issue does any harm to the argument that people
are the future of media. Its not going to be won or lost in an
argument anyway, the viewers will decide by voting with their eyeballs.

Depending on how you look at it, its now almost become accepted by the
large corps themselves that mainstream media is going to become a bit
of a redundant term. The huge audiences of the past have already been
eroded by increasing TV channel choice, and the internet accelerated
this further.

But yes the actual definition of mainstream can be complex, depending
on how you take it videobloggers, youtubers etc are either mainstream
or definately not mainstream. See the wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream

"The boundary is vague. Mainstream suggests middle-of-the-road and
implies commercial viability, sometimes implying that the commercial
viability is tantamount to a loss of artistic creativity."

but also

"Mainstream pressure, through actions such as peer pressure, can force
individuals to conform to the mores of the group (e.g., an obedience
to the mandates of the peer group). Some have stated that they see
mainstream as the antithesis of individuality."

So I dont think you'll find everyone agreeing that an important
mission is that videobloggers be considered mainstream, as it is
something to be avoided to some people. Id avoid it because for me it
usually comes to content being brought down to the lowest common
denominator.

Meanwhile there are more news stories about Amandas new show popping
up, some of which will probably inadvertantly pour more fuel onto the
fire, but some are covering the issues faced by crossing to the
mainstream etc:

http://tinyurl.com/y45hxt

http://tinyurl.com/y7uh8p (scroll down a bit)

http://tinyurl.com/y7qstt (a slightly older article that I missed
previously)

Oh and heres an article thats by that Scott Kirsner whose book was
mentioned on this list the other day. It covers the idea that amateurs
are going to face increasing competition online from mainstream media,
amoungst other things. I partially agree with it but think it may be
overstating things a tad:

http://tinyurl.com/y2o3bf

Steve Elbows