Hi All,

Today I came across a teen who had written a suicide note on MySpace:

<http://flickr.com/photos/karmagrrrl/326204445/?#comment72157594427411558>

At first, I thought it was a joke - just a teen looking for attention.
But when I clicked on his profile and read some of his blog posts, I
began to realize that it may be real after all.

It turned out it was real. And he was overdosing on pills. Rick Rey, a
fellow videoblogger, called the school and the authorities handled it
from there. Just a few moments ago I received an email from one of his
friends saying the kid was alive and holding on in the hospital.

My question is... What should the protocol be in instances like these?
You see a suicide note on a social network site and you feel
completely helpless. Luckily, Rick scanned the page enough to notice
the school info, but what if there had been none?

I feel like there should be a little box on all these social networks
that say "in case of fire, break glass." A red button of sorts. But is
that getting into a whole gray area?

How does one ensure that young people are physically safe? Can the
buddy system/top eight be more useful when things like this happen? Is
there an alarm?

Just thinking out loud. Thoughts?

Zadi
http://jetsetshow.com