Lucas, I totally and completely respect your position and agree with
most of what you say, at least in spirit.  Yet I find this one difficult
to swallow.  I'm not a lawyer, but isn't the nature of copyright, the
purpose of copyright, to control the "display" of a work?  I suppose we
could split hairs over the definition of "display," but isn't it illegal
to take a $20 DVD and display it in a theater occupied by 150 people who
each paid $12 to see the movie?