On 23 Feb 2007, at 01:32, Charles Hope wrote:
 > Why do we have such self-hatred?
Um, gosh, I didn't suggest reaching out beyond the list through any
self-hatred, or Yahoo Group hatred.  Quite the reverse. I hoped that
the rest of my post should have suggested that.

 >Even if attendance were strictly
 >limited to members of this list, it would be a fabulous gathering.

Agreed

 >Do we want 5000 new people attending that are unfamiliar with the
culture
 >which we've created here over the past few years? If there is a time
 >for reaching out to new people, is this it?

Well, from my point of view, I immediately thought that would be cool
- but maybe I've read it all wrong, because I've never been to this
kind of thing before.  But then how do you define 'new people' and
how do you select people who are 'familiar' with the culture you've
been developing here for a few years?

 >Are you flying across the
 >Atlantic Ocean to meet people you've been watching and corresponding
 >with for months, or absolute strangers?

Um, both, definitely.  But that's just my view - I wouldn't want to
force dilution of the core against anyone's will.