At early stage of looking at scoop I cant see why it would be much
different to learning any other CMS. For my own personal tastes scoop
seems slightly long in the tooth and perhaps not kept fresh enough,
and not enough add-ons to speed feature development, but I may be
missing an active scoop devel community somewhere. Id rather use
drupal, but its safe to say there are some people who dont like
drupal, and like anything it has its flaws.

Which bits of scoop make you so keen on it? Has it got anything
resemblign a forum for discussions, I mosstly see CMS and bloggy stuff?

The advantages to creating and maintaining it ourselves are apparent,
but there are also some drawbacks. It means that 'we' has to be
defined, that someone has to pay a bill and someone has to maintain
the server and people have to invest time coding it. Im sure that just
enough of this time & passion exists, but will require a lot of actual
users to use the stuff in order to be anything approaching
'sustainable'. Right now theres no responsibility on any of us to make
sure the server that runs this list stays operational. True we are
therefore placing fate of group in yahoo hands, but they also have the
resources to cope.

Regarding how this community can be useful to to public at large,
again Id agree that the yahoo list is not the best way. Sometimes new
people have been directed here for help, often theyve been helped
quickly, but it can be a bit daunting and the search falility and lack
of groupings of posts into different subforums doesnt help.

But in tthe past it seems like most people who wanted to help people
in this way, with guides and information, set up their own sites to do
so. I dont know if a wiki or any other collaborative CMS or forum
could deliver the results that freevlog has, for example. Wikis and
stuff can do great things, but usually find far less people prepared
to contribute to them than are prepared to supply the same information
as part of a list or forum conversation.

I dunno, as I said Id love to see a change happen and I think there is
some merit in bringing lots of different kinds of information and
communication systems together into one community site that works on
multiple fronts. It certainly would help me to remember the other
stuff exists if it were all under one roof.

On a semi-related note Id love to see more experimental non-commercial
community video sites, trying things out, experiemnting with strange
tech, and being genuinely community run & driven. But thats easy to
say is another thing I cant explain properly without showing everyone
a working example, which wouldnt work without people, oh I dunno, Im
making no sense, I'll stew on this one for a while.

Cheers

Steve Elbows