Well yes, using the comparison to video services that re-show vloggers
stuff without honouring the license, youtube would be comparable to a
site where the users submitted peoples rss feeds, as opposed to the
site themselves deliberately going out and selecting content to put on
their site without having the right.

Im not totally clued up on DMCA but I think it also affects how
'reasonable' viacoms demands will be seen as. If viacom send youtube a
list of the URLs of every piece of content that infringes their
rights, then I think youtube have to act. If viacom demand that
youtube work out what the offending content is, and come up with a
system to prevent such content ever getting uploaded again, then thats
different and may be part of any interesting precedent this case could
set, if it gets that far.

DRM wont save viacom or youtube from the horrors of illicit user
uploads, because most of that content is getting ripped onto computer
from sources that are insecure, such as TV or DVD. OK maybe if none of
the new & future 'secure' systems get hacked in a huge way like the
DVD protection scheme was, then eventually they could secure their
stuff at the source, but as we've seen a lot of people question
whether a DRM war is any more winnable for them than the war on drugs.

Dont understand your point about the bills. Someones gotta pay for
real services that use resources. And the things you mentioned are
living expenses, they are a part of this lifestyle and this life. They
arent essentials like food or warmth, but they feel pretty 'essential'
to a lot of people. We live the life of kings & queens in the past, in
terms of annemities, but mostly we have to do a lot more hard work.
Har har the early promises of the modern electric home and all its
gadgets, designed to save time to give people more leisure time. Then
the rise of gadgets designed to occupy that time. And the internet can
be a strange mix of both work and leisure, almost simultaneously. But
ooh, do these things really free us? Maybe some of that time and
energy that the functional home gadgets saved is now spent at work.
Does the internet allow ou to espeace your desk, or does it make you
bring your work home with you and spend even longer on it? Such are
the paradoxes of our age, I wonder what the luddites would make of it all.

Cheers

Steve Elbows