Jen,

Agree with Steve, excellent post. I think I have to concur (or should
that be concede)?

For now, I'm going to send a 640x480 "Export for iPod" version out
with the feed, while linking to a 320x240 "instant gratification"
version at the site. People who use iTunes are probably more prepared
to wait ... in fact I don't know whether you can play vids in iTunes
until they finish downloading anyway.

I don't see this as "embracing" the 1,500kbps Apple impost - it's a
very reluctant and formal embrace on my part!

I mean, what's the point of having a "low-complexity" format,
supposedly to make it easier for the iPod to handle, but jacking the
bitrate up to the max at the same time?

Maybe I should let Lenny handle this stuff in future...

Waz from CTK

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Great post, you raise some very important points.
>
> Its certainly true that sites that offer transcoding to multiple
> formats, should encourage the user to encode & upload the highest
> quality/bitrate/resolution version of the video, and all the lower
> quality/res/bitrate versions are then created from that high-quality
> version.
>
> Uploading DV has always been very far from ideal, too large, and
> whilst in many countries the download rate of broadband has been
> increasing, upload rates are still relatively slow for most.
>
> You are right to point out that if blip use a higher bitrate for
> certain new transcoded formats, much higher than the bitrate the user
> has uploaded video to blip as, then its a pointless waste. But this is
> also extremely true of resolution which you didnt mention as much -
> mostly the 600kbps files that people may currently upload to blip, are
> likely to be at 320x240 or equivalent widescreen res,  and then it
> would be really pointless for these to be converted to 640x480 files.
>
> For me it would make more sense, if the 640x480 apple-tv is the
> highest quality & largest filesize offered, that this is the format
> the user encodes to ontheir compuer, then uploads that to blip. Then
> blip can make a slightly smaller 640x480 version for the ipod, and the
> various 320x240 versions in mp4 and flash format. All of these are
> then available.
>
> Strictly speaking for the absolute best quality you would encode all
> of the formats yourself, straiht from the master edited DV or
> equivalent, without using any intermediate formats, but obviously this
> has to be balanced against the extreme convenience of hosted
> transcoding services, and the fact these quality issues arent dramatic
> enough for everyone to need to worry about in this depth. But then as
> Mike has pointed out (I think), blip does already give the flexibility
> to go down this route if you want to.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Elbows
>
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jen Simmons <jensimmons@> wrote:
> >
> > I will be interesting to see what the blip transcoding to AppleTV/
> > iPod results in. If I upload a 600 kbit/sec file to blip, and the
> > magicians at blip translate that to a 1500-1800 kbits/sec Apple TV
> > file (assuming its the same bitrate as the pre-fab settings here in
> > FCP / Mac OS world) -- then that will be a poor result: all the long
> > download times without any of the high-quality. [once data is thrown
> > away, it cannot be gotten back -- for those of you who believe the
TV
> > spy shows that show "zooming in" on video -- that's not possible!]
> >
> > The debate, to me, is not 640x480 vs. 320x240 -- the debate is 600
> > kbits/sec data rates vs. 1500 kbit/sec.  Using the freevlog
advice, I
> > can get files that will start playing immediately (on U.S.
> > 'broadband' connections) and still be the highest quality possible.
> > At 1500, people _would_ have to wait several minutes _if_ they were
> > trying to watch the file from a web browser -- a far too long a
> > wait / most people would give up and leave. BUT I'm not going to
stop
> > encoding at 600 kbit/s for the website itself -- I'm just going to
> > add a 1500 kbit/s video for the iTunes feed. People aren't expecting
> > to watch the video right away from the iTunes environment. And a bit
> > rate that is three times wider is going to result in some beautiful
> > footage. I can only expect Apple did all kinds of market research /
> > planning / thinking about wait times vs. files sizes vs. image
> > quality when deciding to move all of their TV shows and movies to
> > this new bitrate. I do love that these files Apple is making look
> > great when blown up to two or three times the original size (to fill
> > the HD screens). You just cannot do that with a 600 bkit/sec file!
> >
> > The biggest disadvantage I think of the wider bitrate is the fact
> > people's harddrives are going to get full 3 times faster. And that
> > Apple TV harddrive is awfully small. But that "problem" comes long
> > after the viewer has already downloaded and watched your show --
it's
> > not going to stop them from subscribing in the first place. I
> > download two to four 45 minute files at 1500-1800 kbits/sec every
> > week from the iTunes store, and I have no problems with "waiting".
It
> > all happens in the background, and I'm excited to get the content
> > every time.
> >
> > So I say: let's embrace the Apple settings / 1500-1800
kbit/second! I
> > was avoiding it based on Verdi + Ryanne's advice, but once I poked
at
> > the files and started figuring out what Apple is up to, I got
excited
> > about Apple's choices. The are trying to get us to all do one thing
> > (not 50,000) and have it work as best as possible. I plan to use
this
> > for all iPod / Apple TV feeds. (And NEVER for files that are played
> > straight from the browser.)
> >
> > I just hope the Blip transcoding does not use the higher bitrate,
> > since (if people are uploading 600 kbit/sec source files) the
quality
> > will not reflect it. If Blip can get an Apple TV / iPod compatible
> > 640x480 or 640x360 sized video going at the regular 600 kbits/sec
> > rate -- that will be an incredibly useful tool. Small files for
those
> > who want it. Larger physical size. Works on the iPod/TV devices --
> > this is what is not possible right now, at least not from
Quicktime /
> > iMovie / FCP.
> >
> > The other option for Blip, I would guess, is to have users upload
> > "high res" videos -- DV? / High-bit rate mpeg-4 files? -- expressly
> > for the transcoding into multiple formats. Including a "normal"
> > Quicktime format at a rate people can watch from the blip site / the
> > creators website without waiting.
> >
> > Jen
> >

> > Jen Simmons
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://jensimmons.com
> > http://milkweedmediadesign.com
> > 267-235-6967
> >

> > On Apr 23, 2007, at 4:32 pm, Mike Hudack wrote:
> >
> > > Hey Waz,
> > >
> > > I'm afraid the secret sauce includes a dozen pages of signed legal
> > > documents and some custom code :) not sure what kind of file size
> > > we're
> > > talking...

Apple TV

> > > the