I always thought Richard BF was too fixated, in an almost unhealthy
way, on the need to classify videoblogging as a genre and control the
debate.

It was a strongly held personal point of view, and one that was
disputed.   Personally, I don't agree with him. Many of us do not,
and not just out of intellectual stupidity or out of some misguided
romanticism or need to aggrandize the videoblog.  And I don't think
one side has to *win*.

Patrick, in the comments of Richard's definition on his blog http://
www.kashum.com/blog/1156867771, agreed with him about genre.

In a small community, one person can hold disproportionate power just
by doing more than anyone else is prepared to.  It's a difficult
balance - you want people to lead, and get involved - but you don't
want them to do too much or their opinion dominates to the detriment
of other valid (but more quietly voiced) opinions.

The power of deletion is one of the most powerful of all for someone
like this to hold.  It's dispiriting, and it kills discussion.  It's
a disaster in a scenario like this, where there are different
opinions on a concrete subject that has not been academically
researched.

The ideal scenario when one person is wielding disproportionate power
is that the whole community makes their opinions heard - and when
there are differences of opinion as to a definition, as there are
here, a middle path is followed - a compromise is reached.

The people who want it all their own way will say that that's what
they're doing - that Wikipedia is not a place for opinions and
original research, and so they delete everything that's not sourced.
One group of purists wanted to delete the video blog entry completely
at one point, and it almost happened, which would have been absurd
IMO.  Richard BF blamed this proposed deletion on the messy
discussions in the entry to try and bolster his own point, which was
not true - the deletion was part of a wider semantic cleansing
program by people who wanted to strip down definitions relating to
blogging.

I don't think it's particularly helpful to get back into the
polarised discussions of whether it's a genre, a sub-genre, whether
it exists at all.

Let's have an entry that acknowledges the disagreements in a simple
paragraph or two, and moves on to embrace all sides of the
definition.  That will be a far more informative entry for people
wanting an authoritative reference.  But we won't get there if we
keep getting every addition deleted.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.blogspot.com/
http://www.twitter.com/ruperthowe/