You've walked right into the middle of a real big issue.

This isnt just about one or 2 technical issues with feeds being
republished, for example even if you offered no feeds, some people
would take issue with the core functionality of your embedded player.

See unfortunately theres a common misconception about web 2 user
generated content, and blogging, podcasting and videoblogging. There
can be an assumption that these sorts of content creators have far
more liberal ideas about how their content may be shown and
redistributed on the net. But in reality, a lot of these creators are
interested in giving more rights to the users of the content, the
viewers.

But the same technologies that enable such things as subscribing to
stuff that is then automatically downloaded, also enables other sites
& services & companies to do things with the content. This is the
dangerous ground, made especially sensitive by the fact the majority
of creators arent reaping in loads of money, so may be extra miffed if
they see 3rd parties, services, others, exploiting their work for profit.

Now I am usually one of the loud shouters who starts verbally abusing
such services & sites for taking liberties with peoples content.
Theres been loads of ugly examples, some have made creators feel far
more violated than others. Many specific technical remedies have
formed part of the solution, most have come to comply a bit more with
creators wishes but few have genuinely gone the whole distance.
Sometimes it is because they would have no business if they complied
fully, or acknowledged that their use of stuff might be a commercial
use, and thus exclude to them a bulk of cc-non-commercial content out
there.

If you are unable to make specific feature changes to make everyone
happy, then you may have to consider the opt-in model.

Now you offer quite a few different services so it will be easy for me
to trip-up in discussing this, but I get quite excited by some of the
features you offer. I like the open web with mashups and people being
able to make playlists and stuff. In an ideal world Id be happy if
most creators hel that view, but I can see why this would not be an
ideal world for many creators. One of the big problems is that the
videos themselves are often not a self-contained representation of
that persons web-publishing efforts. No matter how much we embrace
various web gadgets, there is much resistance to the idea that a
playlist someones work could be embedded in other sites. There are
many good reasons why, but I remain conflicted because I love the
elegant simplicity of say a podcast where the creator just wants it to
spread any way it can. And services such as yours seem to rely on this
stuff being accepted. But it isnt, people still want control, and it
feels right for them to want control because of all the leechy ways
people have found to exploit their work.

You avoid my hate for now because I believe your service actually has
potential added value for creators and viewers. In the web & world of
my dreams such things would be deeply normal. But we dont live in that
world, and its even possible that the corporations will give up on DRM
before the little creators give up the right to have some control over
how their content is used. Probably they shouldnt give it all up, but
it will not be a dead simple path to finding the right balance. Your
feed issue is trivial to fix compared to the potential conflict
between your embedded players playlist etc abilities and what peopl
feel is accaptable. Its a shame, youd probably get no stick at all if
your thang was a desktop app, aggregation software can get away with
having adverts in the app and nobody seems to moan much, but doing the
same thing on a webpage will draw instant flak.

Now just like youtube tries to avoid having to take on all
responsibility for potential misuse of its service, I dont think you
can be fully held accountable for every single potential misuse of
your service. But the way Ive read things so far, there arent really
any safeguards at all, and the featurelist reads like a wishlist for
leeches. You make it easy for users to do all sorts of legitimate
things, but you rely on humans to honour any copyright & creative
commons isues with reuse of others video etc through your player. So
you also make it easy for it to be misued. But then to be fair so does
RSS in general, and that doesnt make everyone abandon or crap on RSS.
It make people want to add their license terms to their feed, and so
some do, but few services bother to read such information properly and
do anything intelligent with it.

Like I said, it will be a tricky balancing act. I guess you wont want
to move to opt-in for all content, as that will decimate your content
base. So you'll need to consider having a lengthy debate with the
masses to learn more about where concensus lies, and preferably
implement quite a few mechnaisms that reassure people and make your
service less open to be used to leech peoples feeds wholesale.

For example I havent heard many vloggers complain about another site
embedding one of their videos on a page, its more when someones entire
feed gets ripped off and put into a different context. This clashes
badly with your feature that enables people to embed all someones work
n a page somewhere, as I said I personally find such things
interesting bu they are far from accepted, and the idea of such things
fills many with dread due in part to bad experiences with adversiting
& exploitation ruining it for all concerned. I hazard a guess that
people would be more inclined to consider such things if there were a
non-commercial internet that was clearly defined, where concent could
be free from more shackes without running the risk of being exploited
so readily.

Ahh what a terrible shame, I often waffle in this group about exciting
potential for flash players to mix text, video & audio together in
interesting ways, and your service seems to do interesting stuff in
this regard. But some of those features have led you to this
minefield, hope it works out ok.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "ahwfour_1027"