Quirk, you an iconoclastic shitstirrer :)

I haven't seen much vitriol.  Given the occasional time this group's
really lynched people (particularly corporations), I think
everybody's been quite nice.  Apart from one silly link to some
shitty blog, everyone else has just been saying, 'Yo, What's going
on?  Why aren't you paying up?  Why aren't you talking?'.  And I
think Lan's handled it really calmly, especially given that Podtech
have appeared to imply that he's being dishonest with us somehow.

Copyright is silly, yeah - IP is pretty silly, but at least it allows
individuals to be paid for stuff they make.  Since that's the way it
has to be to avoid people being exploited (like having a Union for
creativity), Creative Commons is just an attempt to do it all a bit
more intelligently.

And in my mind, your song being recorded and played by someone else
is as different from someone composing and recording your face as a
single image as it is from you being an actor in or director of a
film or an author of text.  Each have different authorship rights.
Casey wasn't performing a creative work, and i assume she signed a
release for Lan allowing him to use the image he took of her?
Whether Podtech needed to contact or reward her somehow for being the
face of their competition campaign is another matter.  You wouldn't
just be able to use, say, Kate Moss's face on an ad for a cosmetics
product competition without her permission.  But if you did, the
photographer would also get paid.

You said that if you put stuff online, you don't own it any more than
you own the rainbow over your house...  But this isn't really about
ownership, is it? It's about someone getting someone else to do their
work for them for free.  Yeah, I don't particularly care about the
copyright of my Twittervlog films, and I'm not using them to make a
living - I'm happy for people to use them however -  but if, say,
Nokia used one of my films as a background for an N93 competition
without asking, and i found out long after it was over, and i'd
received no benefit from it in terms of links, attribution, new
viewers and connecting with new people, i probably would not be
totally cool with that.  I'd say that they were cheeky c***s.  (I
hate starring out words, but I suppose I have to star out this one).
If they'd used a *commercial* film of mine - something i'd created in
order to be able to buy myself food, and not paid me for it, I'd feel
even more strongly.  I'd effectively be working for them for free,
and even a small amount of money makes a much bigger difference to an
individual than it does to a corporation.

Anyway, that's what I think.  Not that you'll ever read it,
probably.  Have a nice trip.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.blogspot.com/
http://www.twitter.com/ruperthowe/