To clarify that point, I mean that in this age the media has overt
racism as an unacceptable thing, but still manages to do things that
reinforce racist opinion. Same with issues of sexuality, more or less.

Whereas in private, there are a lot of people with opinions they know
are publicly unacceptable, but they are still their opinions, and are
more likely to reveal them privately.

Videoblogging blurs some of the lines between private, semi-private
and mass media, as well as geographical, national and cultural
boundaries being less lpresent in cyberspace, its a recipie for all
these issues to get mixed up again. Some bad is going to come out of
it but I hope good can also happen.

I also think that the general wellbeing and health of the different
cultures and subcultures that make up humanity, is vital for helping
these issues. Its more than a little worrying that our own societies
are not so sane at the moment, in an age where we've got it probably
as good as it can get, in terms of total resources available to the
people of the planet. We need to be understanding and getting on with
eachother, and for the young of all cultures to have more peace and
satisfaction in the future, before the actual realities of the future
give us more reasons to tear eachother apart. That old phrase 'united
we stand, divided we fall', is going to have increased relevance in
the future, methinks.

Anyway videoblogging and other net video stuff will sometimes do harm
in these realsm, but it sure has the potential to do a lot of good. If
any of the misunderstandings between cultures have been perpetuated by
the nature of mass media, this can be undone slowly over time via
people being themselves on video. But alone this may not do much,
genuine equality of opportunity must be marched towards on many other
fronts.

Cheers

Steve Elbows