Hi Richard,

I currently assist in the production of an online show that just took off in
the Vlogger community.  (GerryT.com)

Interviewing people and getting them to sign a consent form proposes the exact
same issues of privacy which often come up with these people not wanting to see
themselves or have others see them on camera.   Nevertheless, the show has
attracted a cult audience with people wanting to see more of the director on
screen.
It's rather challenging to find a complete stranger to interview every week for
this show.

Please view the site and watch some of the episodes, your insights would be
greatly appreciated.  Pay particular attention to Episodes:   Access Denied;
Discreet Affair;
Sex, Love and Honesty; Just Got Played; and this week's episode of course.

Thanks for your viewing support!

~MMC

"Richard (Show) Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Disclosure: This post is part of my on-going attempt to relate my research,
 which is a big part of what I do for a living, with my passion (which is, of
 course is vlogging), so, if you answer this post, you will be influencing
 on-going discussions about my student's thesis project.

 Having said that, we're talking about this broad issue of privacy, and how,
 as you know, there are a lot of people who are afraid to put like anything
 on the web. And, of course, there are many frightening anecdotes going
 around (true and not) about privacy issues and the web.

 So, as we're discussing this fundamental issue, relating to the web, I'm
 wondering why I've never worried about this. Of course I plaster my own face
 all over my videos, and my wife's and even my children and grand children
 are in some of my videos, and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get my home
 address somewhere in my web sites etc ... so I'm wondering what's odd about
 me (with regard to lack of privacy concerns - not all the other odd stuff
 about me :)

 And I note that the "culture" on this list seems to be very open - for
 example, I often find cell phone numbers on some of the most active list
 participants on their sites, or even in email signatures ... as a group, it
 seems to me that we are very open in that way. I remember, in one video, Jay
 Dedman showing his new apartment, and commenting that the extra room was for
 anyone watching who needed an extra room when they were in New York

 I don't remember any very lengthy/serious thread in more than two years on
 the list where anyone discussed the issue of dangers associated with posting
 videos of yourself on the web.

 I had never given this much thought in the past, but as I think about it, I
 guess, the main reasons *I* don't seem to care about privacy are:

 1) Nothing bad has happened to me so far, for posting my stuff all over the
 web, with the exception that there have been a few times that it was sort of
 professionally awkward, when one of my academic colleagues finds videos of
 me, with my fat belly hanging out, jumping into cold water.

 ... When my 83 year old mother first saw any of my videos, she was concerned
 that people at the National Science Foundation, who often fund my research,
 would see these videos and quit funding any of my work. My response to her
 was that, if they quite giving money for projects that they think are worthy
 of funding, because one of the investigators has video of themselves doing
 silly things on the web, then I'm really worried about the National Science
 Foundation, not me.

 2) I feel a strong sense of openness within the vlog group and the web
 culture in general, so that we take advantage of all the things this
 openness can afford (like me bugging Michael Verdi with a mac question
 because I can find his cell phone number on the web), or, more importantly,
 I can get to know people by watching their own videos etc ...

 ... I'm wondering if the nature of video bloggers is that we are at the
 farthest open end of this dimension, because we are people who wanted to put
 videos of ourselves on the web, and then I wonder is this just a
 characteristic of those hams, like me, who do put lots of video of ourselves
 on the web, whereas I know a lot of my video blogging friends who actually,
 rarely, show themselves on camera ...

 ... Anyway, I would love to hear any of your thoughts on this topic.

 ... Richard

 --
 Richard
 http://richardhhall.org

“Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.”
 —Aristotle (384-322 B.C.), philosopher