I guess my reaction is born from two things: one, there's no such
requirement in California's shield law, and two, in the Apple v. Does case,
the judge opted to protect the bloggers under that shield law (instead of
trade secrets laws) since they'd committed "an act of journalism,"
regardless of their background as journalists or reasons for doing so.

I just don't see how a "free and independent press" doesn't include people
who get a bug up their rear and publishing something, with no regard for
their livelihood or personal financial gain.  What about journalism
students, who often take chances on writing provocative stuff -because- they
have no need to earn a paycheck?  To me, this was designed to apply only to
the corporate press who have a vested interest in being the only
organizations allowed to call employees and freelancers "journalists."

As David points out, it only matters how this applies in the courts.  A law
doesn't mean much without legal precedent to give it nuance.

JW