I hadn't thought to check into this in a long while.

video blog vs. vlog vs. video podcast

Which terms is winning out?

http://www.google.com/trends?q=video+podcast%2C+vlog%2C+video+blog%2C+videoblog&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Alternate tiny url:

http://tinyurl.com/3b6j4u

It would appear that "video blog" is THE clear term of choice, which
makes me quite happy.  The masses have pretty much spoken at this
point. I think it's safe to say the dust is starting to settle and
can't forsee anything changing the picture anytime soon.

In fact the only thing more popular then "video blog" is simply
"podcast", with an order of magnitude.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=video+blog%2C+podcast

On a side note it's interesting to note that while popularity the term
podcast has obviously peaked the term videoblog continues to rise very
steadily. Most interesting.

I would think that podcast is the prefered term for audio specific
media, but I could well be wrong, which brings me to my next point.

**Google can't tell us what people thing these terms mean.**

Do people think of podcasts as generally audio only?

What percentage of these articles that are refering to "podcasts" are
actually referring to video specific podcasts?

When people here "video blog" what do they think?

When people here "video blog" do they think simple "youtube"?

or do they think "like a blog but instead of text primarily video"?

Is blog itself yet a household term, or do people still think it means
"to throw up"?

And finally and most importantly... what is the state of RSS in all this?

My guess is the vast majority will never know the term, RSS. Nor do
they necissarily need to.

They may understand two things:  1) subscribing, 2) syndication (if
they make media).

RSS is undisputeably and undeniably integral to this space. As 1) a
subscription mechanism, 2) a serch mechanism, and 3) a syndication
mechanism even though the vast majority of the public may not know it
or even need to know it.

What interests me though, is how far have we come in loosening media
from the confines of the "web page"  so it may flow freely beyond the
boundries of the traditional web to set top boxes, portable devices,
cell phones and such.

How far have we really gotten in that big picture?

What percentage of web originating video is viewed on a web page?

What percentage is viewed on the web page it originated on, as opposed
to through a syndication, reblog, or search site?

Just some late night ramblings.

-Mike
mefeedia.com
mmeiser.com/blog